With jewelry and diamonds, you need to take proper care of these wonderful accessories to ensure their lasting beauty for a lifetime of enjoyment. As you read through the following paragraphs, you will see that each type of jewelry demands its own standard of care. To preserve the beauty of your jewelry, diamonds or engagement rings try to observes these simple rules as closely as your lifestyle allows.
Now that you have your beautiful diamonds, to maintain their beauty you must use proper care. Diamonds are the earth’s strongest material, but a single hard hit could cause it to chip. Remove diamond jewelry before any heavy activity so your diamonds will last a lifetime.
To clean diamonds and diamond jewelry, use warm water and a little bit of grease cleaner like Spic and Span or Mr. Clean Let the cleaner mix with the water and swish the ring around holding it between your fingers. Rinse with clean water. The main reason diamonds look dull after some time of wear is because the oils from your skin and other beauty products get trapped under the surface of the stone. Therefore try to keep diamonds away from lotion, perspiration and other corrosive household cleaners such as ammonia or bleach cleaners. Those items can dull the surface of the stones. Furthermore it is in your best interest to bring in your jewelry items to Unclaimed Diamonds to be professionally cleaned and polished, after all the service is free of charge
Your diamond jewelry should be separated with paper or bags, so they do not scratch or dull each other. Better yet, keep the diamonds in their original boxes.
You will have beautiful diamonds that will last a lifetime by following these simple rules.
Gold Jewelry Care
Keep your gold jewelry away from harsh chemicals such as chlorine and cleaning fluids. This will reduce daily abrasions and prolong gold’s luster. To clean gold jewelry, use a solution of warm water and detergent-free soap and wash gold gently with a soft-bristled brush (a dull tooth brush works well). Store gold pieces separately in soft cloth bags or original boxes to protect them from the exposure to harsh daily elements.
There are 4 simple rules to keep your gold jewelry looking new. Gold is a very durable metal but its luster can fade with time. With proper care, yours can last a lifetime.
1. Don’t Wear Your Gold Jewelry Twenty-Four Hours A Day
- While many of us love to wear our favorite pieces day and night, the most effective way to preserve them is to limit the exposure to daily elements.
- Many personal care products can be harmful to your piece. This includes lotion, make-up, perfume, shaving cream, and hair spray. These daily elements can form a dull film that covers the gold and is hard to remove. You can easily prevent this by removing them before grooming.
2. Avoid Chlorine Bleach on Your Gold Jewelry
- Chlorine bleach ruins gold by oxidizing the metal and turning it black.
- Never clean them with any chlorine bleach substance. Remove gold jewelry before doing any household jobs. Many common household cleaners have bleach and other chemicals that may adversely affect them.
- Do not go swimming or in a hot tub with your gold accessory. Because of the chlorine, prolonged exposure to a swimming pool can turn it black.
3. Clean Your Gold Jewelry With Correct Procedure and Products
- Remove light tarnish by using soap water and a soft bristle brush. After gentle scrubbing, rinse and dry with a cotton cloth. You can also use a specially treated cloth or other cleaning products, i.e. Mr. Clean or Spic and Span. Do Not use a brush on any jewelry that has gemstones or diamonds set in as the scrubbing will likely loosen the setting and could cause the stones to fall out.
- For gold jewelry without colored gemstones, you can use an ultrasonic cleaning machine.
- For heavy tarnish, please consult your jeweler for the best cleaning method.
4. Store Your Gold Jewelry Correctly
- Gold jewelry needs to be dry before storage. Moisture can weaken springs and clasps.
- Gold pieces should not be in direct contact with other pieces because they can scratch each other. Find boxes that have compartments to keep pieces separate.
Platinum Jewelry Care
Since platinum jewelry is so durable, it can be worn every day, but you should still take good care of it and take it off when doing rough work or working with harsh chemicals.
To clean your platinum rings or chains, soak them in a mild solution of soap and warm water, and gently scrub them with a soft bristle brush. Store platinum in a separate box, so it does not get scratched
Pearl Jewelry Care
A natural pearl is formed when an irritant, a small grain of sand, finds its way into an oyster. The irritant settles in a soft part of the oysters body. It causes a secretion that is called nacre, as a protective measure, surrounding the nucleus in circles- building up lustra nacre that results in a pearl.
If you own a pearl necklace or other pearl jewelry, it’s important to take good care of them. To keep your pearl jewelry healthy and beautiful for years to come, keep pearl jewelry away from household cleaners and beauty products, such as hair spray, perfume and lotion. Chemical products will damage the Nacre ( the substance that oysters secrete that forms pearls)., resulting in a dull surface. Wearing is the best way to keep your pearl necklace beautiful. Your body’s natural oils can keep pearl jewelry from being lustrous. Wipe your pearls with a soft cloth and keep them separate from the other necklaces to avoid scratches.
*The advertised service is a rental- or lease-purchase agreement provided by Prog Leasing, LLC, or its affiliates. It is not a loan, credit or financing. While no credit history is required, Progressive obtains information from consumer reporting agencies in connection with lease application. 90-day purchase option includes a markup over invoice price (except for 3-month purchase option in CA). After 90 days, early buyout options vary by state. Acquiring ownership by leasing costs more than retailer’s cash price. Not available in MN, NJ, VT, WI or WY. Merchant participating locations only. Leasing available on select items. Not all applicants are approved. See lease for details